Lobster!

Jul 14

Last week, our son had his allergies retested. He is on a two-year schedule, so this was the third time he had a skin-prick test. His allergist informed us he is no longer allergic to shellfish and, despite never having eaten shellfish, he was very excited. When we asked him what shellfish he would like to try, he definitively answered, “Lobster!” “Couldn’t he have chosen a less expensive shellfish?” I grumbled to my husband. I opted for a three-dollar tin of lobster pâté. I spread it thinly on some Wheat Thins. I sampled some of the pâté, and found the flavour really strong. It contained not just meat, but tomalley and roe as well. I was expecting that my son wouldn’t like it. But, he said that he did, and he asked for four more “crackers with lobster.” I tried to act pretty blasé about his eating food he was previously considered allergic to. I didn’t want him to be fearful. All went well: there was no reaction; and both my son and I were glad he had experienced a new food. It was an especially big event for me, despite my calm exterior. I had never had a nightmare about my son’s allergies, but the night after the lobster experiment, I dreamt he was covered in hives and his eyes were swollen shut. I woke up to the sound of him softly crying, thankfully not from an allergic reaction, but from sleeping on his ear the wrong way. Next time I’ll buy him a whole lobster. Share...

Read More

Legal Update: Comcare Prosecutes For Food Allergy Death – Deacons – 07/07/2009, Health & Safety

Jul 09

Further to the article about the Australian Army cadets who died due to a peanut allergy while in the care of the Army, the Federal Court laid down a fine to the maximum allowed. Australia: Legal Update: Comcare Prosecutes For Food Allergy Death On 30 June 2009, the Federal Court of Australia handed down a fine of $210,100 in a Comcare prosecution of the Commonwealth of Australia, acting through the Chief of the Army for a contravention of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 1991 Cth the OHS Act by the Australian Army Cadets AAC in the course of conducting a three day training course known as Bivouac 2007 at the Wombat State Forest in Central Victoria in March 2007.1 The fine handed down is close to the maximum civil penalty available under the OHS Act, which is $242,000. The Federal Court proceedings had two separate parts, one part which related to the supply of food to cadets containing peanuts despite being informed of allergies to peanuts and the second part which related to losing a number of cadets for a period of eighteen 18 hours. Read on for the full article via Australia, Labour and Employment, Legal Update: Comcare Prosecutes For Food Allergy Death – Deacons – 07/07/2009, Health & Safety. Share...

Read More

Army fined over teen’s peanut allergy death | Scotch College cadets camp

Jul 03

This is a sad story. Even some government depsartments are failing to understand the severity of this allergy. The Australian Army has been fined more than $200,000 over the death of a teenager from a peanut allergy at a cadets’ school camp in May 2007. Nathan Francis, 13, was a year nine student at Scotch College in Victoria. Regardless of his mother writing to the camp organisers that Nathan suffered from a severe peanut allergy he was given a lunch of beef satay on the first day of the camp and died shortly after. In the Federal Court this morning, Justice Tony North ordered that the Commonwealth should pay $210,100 to the public purse. The case came about when Comcare, a government workplace safety agency, sued the Commonwealth for a breach of the Occupational Health and Safety Act. The Commonwealth, through the Chief of Army, was responsible for running the camp. Justice North urged that the Victorian Coroner hold an inquest into Nathan’s death to examine the role of Scotch College and its staff who manned the camp. The school has promised to take steps to prevent the recurrence of another incident on the same camp in which six boys were lost in the forest for hours without radio contact. Justice North adjourned that undertaking for one year. The court heard WorkSafe Victoria had decided not to prosecute the school. Justice North described the case as “every parent’s worst nightmare” and commended Nathan’s parents, Brian and Jessica, for their bravery during the proceedings. via Army fined over teen’s peanut allergy death | Scotch College cadets camp. Share...

Read More